Taking care of a pet means keeping a close eye on its health and paying for treatments after an emergency. However, some unexpected vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, taking a chunk out of your savings or leading to credit card debt. Purchasing a policy from one of the best pet insurance companies in Michigan can help you afford your furry friend’s expensive health care needs and ensure it stays happy and healthy.
We at the Guides Home Team have spent hundreds of hours researching the pet industry by conducting surveys of pet owners, reading customer reviews and analyzing company offerings, terms and conditions. After this research, we found the following seven companies to be the best in Michigan.
Coverage & Cost: Lemonade offers one accident and illness plan that covers general illnesses, injuries, broken bones, hip dysplasia, heart disease, cancer and more. It pays for vet bills related to those incidents or conditions, including prescription medications, diagnostic tests, hospitalization and surgery. It also offers preventative care add-ons at two different prices and coverage levels to help pay for routine care such as vaccines, a wellness exam, a fecal test and more.
Lemonade’s policies don’t pay for behavioral issues, elective procedures, dental illnesses and pre-existing conditions. Additionally, Lemonade doesn’t include vet visit fees or physical therapy coverage unless they’re added on as additional monthly costs.
Sample Monthly Premiums: Here are some average Lemonade prices from our sample quotes for a policy with $5,000 of annual coverage, a $250 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate for 1- to 9-year-old mixed dogs and cats in Grand Rapids, Mich.:
- Dogs: $15–$50 per month
- Cats: $11–$24 per month
While Lemonade is facing a class-action lawsuit over its alleged biometric data collection, we still recommend it as a reputable pet insurance provider with affordable accident and illness coverage and an easy-to-use app. You can find out more in our Lemonade review linked below.
To learn more: Lemonade Pet Insurance Review
Get a quote: Check your policy’s premium by getting a pet insurance quote from Lemonade by using this easy online quote tool.
Coverage & Cost: Spot’s pet insurance policies can cover either accidents only, such as toxic ingestions and broken bones, or both accidents and illnesses, including gingivitis, cancer, diabetes, behavioral issues, heart disease, unexpected illnesses and more. However, it doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, pregnancy-related issues and any elective or cosmetic procedures.
For extra coverage on your companion’s preventative care, such as a wellness exam, fecal test, vaccines and more, you can purchase the Gold Plan for around $10 per month with annual coverage of up to $250 of total per-treatment limits or the Platinum Plan for around $25 per month, which includes up to $450 per year of total per-treatment limits.
Sample Monthly Premiums: Here are some quoted prices we received on mixed-breed cats and dogs for accident-only policies with a $5,000 annual limit, a $250 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate, which don’t vary based on the pet’s age or breed:
- Dogs: $19.51 per month
- Cats: $12.24 per month
To learn more: Spot Pet Insurance Review
Get a quote: Visit Spot’s website to get a quote and customize your pet’s policy.
Coverage & Cost: Embrace pet insurance covers accidents and illnesses, such as dental trauma, congenital conditions, chronic conditions, allergies and cancer. Its standard policy includes physical therapy treatments, allergy testing, hospitalization, surgery, diagnostic testing and more. It excludes organ transplants, elective procedures and pre-existing conditions, but it does pay for exam fees related to covered conditions.
You can also purchase the optional Wellness Rewards plan from Embrace for 100% reimbursement on preventative treatments such as microchipping, spay or neuter surgery, vaccinations and more. It comes at three annual coverage level options of $250, $450 or $650 from $18 to $52 per month.
Sample Monthly Premiums: Below are some average Embrace prices from sample quotes for a policy with a $5,000 annual coverage limit, a $300 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate for 1- to 9-year-old mixed breeds in Grand Rapids, Mich.:
- Dogs: $35–$60 per month
- Cats: $17–$36 per month
To learn More: Embrace Pet Insurance Review
Get a quote: Fill out this online form for a quick quote from Embrace.
Coverage & Cost: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offers two standard plans to choose from. The Accident-Only Coverage Plan pays for vet bills related to accidents, such as broken bones, cuts and toxic ingestions. The Complete Coverage Plan covers those accidents in addition to illnesses, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions and behavioral issues.
Both plans come with exam fees and microchip implantation coverage, but they exclude pre-existing conditions, elective procedures and issues related to pregnancy or breeding. For help with your pet’s preventative care, you can purchase the Basic Plan or the Prime Plan with total annual treatment limits of $250 or $450 per year.
Sample Monthly Premiums: Here are some average Complete Coverage Plan prices from quotes with a $5,000 annual coverage limit, a $250 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate for 1- to 9-year-old mixed breeds in Grand Rapids, Mich.:
- Dogs: $30–$70 per month
- Cats: $17–$32 per month
To learn more: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Review
Get a quote: Visit the company’s website to get a quote on your ASPCA Pet Health Insurance policy.
Coverage & Cost: Fetch’s standard pet insurance policy pays for veterinary costs and exam fees related to most accidents and illnesses. Covered costs include alternative therapies, dental illness, cancer treatments, rehabilitation prescription medications, lost-pet advertising and reward money if you lose your pet, vacation cancellation fees if your pet’s treatment causes you to change plans and more.
However, Fetch isn’t the best for pet owners looking for preventive care, since it doesn’t offer that option. Other exclusions are in place for cosmetic procedures, pregnancy-related issues and pre-existing conditions that arise before the end of the 15-day waiting period for accidents and illnesses.
Sample Monthly Premiums: Below are some average prices from Fetch quotes in Grand Rapids, Mich., for a policy with a $5,000 annual coverage limit, a $250 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate for 1- to 9-year-old mixed breeds:
- Dogs: $34–$163 per month
- Cats: $20–$49 per month
To learn more: Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance Review
Get a quote: Use this online tool to get an instant quote from Fetch.
Coverage & Cost: All Healthy Paws pet insurance policies come with unlimited annual, per-incident and lifetime coverage limits that pay for treatments and procedures related to accidents and illnesses, including cancer treatments, hospitalization, surgery, X-rays, emergency care and more.
However, Healthy Paws excludes vet visit and exam fees, spay or neuter procedures, pre-existing conditions and hip dysplasia during the first 12 months of the policy. It also doesn’t offer any preventative care add-ons, unlike many competitors.
Sample Monthly Premiums: Here are some examples of Healthy Paws’ price ranges from quotes in Grand Rapids, Mich., with a $250 deductible and an 80% reimbursement rate for 1- to 9-year-old mixed breeds when those options were available:
- Dogs: $35–$70 per month
- Cats: $16–$33 per month
To learn more: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Get a quote: Enter your pet’s details into this online form for a quote from Healthy Paws.
Coverage & Cost: Prudent Pet offers some of the most comprehensive coverage plans on the market. For $10,000 of annual coverage on accidents and injuries only, you can purchase the Accident-Only Plan. The Essential Plan comes with $10,000 of annual coverage for those accidents and illnesses and other unexpected conditions, such as cancer and hip dysplasia.
The Ultimate Plan comes with unlimited annual coverage on the accidents and illnesses in the Essential Plan plus a few extras, including advertising and reward money for a lost pet, mortality costs like burial and cremation fees and vacation cancellation fees if you change plans due to your pet’s condition. You can also add coverage for exam fees and preventative care at three coverage levels and monthly prices.
Sample Monthly Premiums: Here are some average prices for Essential Plans with a $250 deductible and 80% reimbursement rate for 1- to 9-year-old mixed breeds in Grand Rapids, Mich.:
- Dogs: $37–$84 per month
- Cats: $22–$50 per month
To learn more: Prudent Pet Insurance Review
Get a quote: Use this online tool on Prudent Pet’s website to get a free quote.
Types of Pet Insurance Plans
Choosing a pet insurance plan can be difficult if you don’t know what kind of coverage each one offers. Below is a detailed breakdown of accident-only, accident and illness and preventative care coverage that top pet insurance companies typically offer:
- Accident-only plan: Whether you have a kitten, a puppy or an older animal, accidents are always a threat to your pet’s health. This plan is designed to give you peace of mind that vet bills will be covered after an incident such as a broken bone, toxic ingestions, lodged object or muscle sprain.
- Accident and illness plan: As a more comprehensive option than accident-only plans, this plan is for full coverage on things that impact your pet’s health unexpectedly, including chronic or genetic conditions, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and more.
- Preventative care add-ons: Aside from Fetch and Healthy Paws, all of these pet insurance providers offer preventative care coverage for an additional fee per month, which can help pay for routine care costs for items such as vaccines and wellness visits.
How to Choose the Right Pet Insurance Provider
There are a few factors to consider before picking the best pet insurance company for you and your pet’s specific needs beyond just pricing. Here are more details about those factors:
- Plan type: Not every insurer offers accident-only policies, so if that’s the type of plan you’re looking for, your options for pet insurance in Michigan among these top providers are narrowed down to Prudent Pet, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance and Spot. However, all companies offer coverage plans for accidents and illnesses.
- Wellness coverage: Similarly, some pet insurance companies, such as Fetch and Healthy Paws, don’t offer preventative care options, so you can count them out if you’re looking for help paying for your pet’s routine wellness care, such as vaccinations and annual checkups.
- Coverage limits: Each company offers different annual coverage limit options to choose from for your policy. If you’re looking for unlimited coverage caps, you might lean toward Healthy Paws or Fetch, since they offer those. Other companies offer lower coverage caps to help keep your premium low.
- Policy customization: Looking for the cheapest pet insurance policy that fits in your budget? You can customize your policy to ensure you only pay for exactly what you need. For example, if you need only $5,000 of annual coverage and you don’t mind a higher annual deductible and lower reimbursement rate of 70%, your policy could be considerably less expensive than one with high annual coverage limits, a low deductible and a 90% reimbursement rate.
Which is the Best Pet Insurance in Michigan?
Purchasing a pet insurance policy can help you ensure you’ll be able to afford your dog or cat’s unexpected treatments or procedures after an emergency. While we were most impressed with Lemonade for its consistently low prices, comprehensive coverage and fast claims filing, other providers may make more sense for you and your four-legged family members.
For example, Embrace offers impressive savings opportunities, but Healthy Paws may be your best bet if you need unlimited annual coverage. We recommend that you compare prices from a few providers by getting multiple quotes based on your pet’s specific details and location.
Compare Pet Insurance Providers in Michigan
* Each provider’s monthly cost is based on accident and illness policy premiums from quotes we received on 4-year-old medium-sized dogs Grand Rapids, Mich.
Methodology: Our System for Ranking the Best Pet Insurance Providers in Michigan
Our review of pet insurance companies is based on in-depth industry research that includes reading hundreds of customer reviews, simulating the quote and purchasing process, speaking to representatives on the phone to assess the customer service experience and surveying 1,000 dog and cat owners nationwide to determine the most important elements of pet insurance coverage. We have scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those elements.
Here are more details about each factor and how they’re weighted:
Monthly pricing (25 points): How much each company charges for its pet insurance plans is an important part of a customer’s decision. The best pet insurance companies combine comprehensive coverage and plan options with affordable rates.
- Plans (15 points): The top pet insurance companies offer accident and illness plans, accident-only plans and wellness or preventative care add-ons to give customers the option to choose a plan that’s best for their pet.
- Covered treatments (15 points): With this factor, we scored companies based on the treatments and procedures they cover. Companies with a breadth of included treatments and unique coverages received more points than providers with more standard or general policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Customizing your policy is a valuable way to ensure you only pay for what your pet needs. Providers with more annual-limit, deductible and reimbursement-rate options earned the highest scores.
- Customer care (10 points): We scored companies on their website accessibility and overall usability, customer service availability, mobile apps (if any), money-back guarantees and veterinarian telehealth options, awarding points to the insurers with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry reputation (10 points): To determine each company’s industry reputation, we reviewed up-to-date ratings and accreditation information from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and scored companies on their years of experience in the industry and their state availability.
- Waiting periods (10 points): Companies with shorter accident, illness and orthopedic waiting periods between the sign-up and coverage start date scored higher than companies with longer waiting periods.
- Eligible age (5 points): Some companies don’t offer policies for pets that are over a certain age. We deducted points from providers that have age limits for covered pets.
We use our rating system to compare and contrast each company against key factors to help us determine the best pet insurance companies in the industry. Additionally, we keep our research up to date and revisit our reviews on a regular basis.
Hilary Snow is a communications professional with more than 20 years of experience in both the private and public sectors. She has worked for a number of well-regarded outlets and content marketing companies local to North Carolina, including The Greater Wilmington Business Journal and ZillaMetrics.
Parker King is a writer, editor and SEO content strategist with a master’s degree in professional communication from Clemson University and years of experience in the digital marketing industry. She specializes in writing, editing and optimizing personal finance, home services and insurance content.